Podcast Promotion On AM/FM Radio Explodes: Worth $61 Million Year To Date
Podcasting is America’s fastest growing ad-supported audio platform. From 2016 to 2020, Edison Research’s “Share of Ear” reports reveal podcast audience shares among adults 18+ have tripled to a nine share. Combined, Pandora and Spotify have stagnated at a twelve share. AM/FM radio remains the dominant ad-supported audio platform at a 76% share.
AM/FM radio broadcasters are increasingly using their massive audiences to create awareness and interest in podcasts. CUMULUS MEDIA | Westwood One conducted an analysis of U.S. podcast promotion on U.S. AM/FM radio using Media Monitors, the largest ad occurrence measurement service.
Podcast promos on AM/FM radio have increased 3.5X over the prior year
In the first half of 2020, a stunning 1.8 million podcast promos were aired on American AM/FM radio stations, representing a 3.5X increase over the same period in the prior year.
Year to date podcast promotion on U.S. AM/FM radio equates to $61 million
Media Monitors has a feature called “Advertising Expenditure” where costs are estimated for each ad occurrence using a combination of broad demo ratings and cost per point. Extrapolating Media Monitors’ coverage of 65% of the U.S. population to the total U.S. generates an estimate of about $61 million worth of inventory devoted to podcast promotion in the first half of 2020.
601 podcasts were promoted on AM/FM radio so far in 2020
From January to June 2020, Media Monitors captured 601 different podcasts being promoted on U.S. AM/FM radio. This represents a twofold increase over the 302 podcasts promoted during the first half of 2019.
Sample analysis: $1.5M worth of promotion for one podcast title over a two-week period
The analysis of the Media Monitors data found numerous instances of promotion campaigns with significant media weight over short periods of time. In one case, 44% of all Americans were reached an average of 6.8 times during two weeks.
Several titles received 300 GRPs of media weight over a two-week period. This would cost an advertiser $1.5 million in the network radio marketplace.
In June 2020, 71% of Americans were exposed to podcast promos an average of 16.9 times, generating two billion advertising impressions
Nielsen reports AM/FM radio is America’s number one mass reach media. AM/FM radio’s reach is greater than TV and bigger than Facebook. AM/FM radio broadcasters are using their huge platform to market podcasts. During the month of June 2020, 551,044 podcast promos were run, reaching 71% of the entire U.S. population an average of 16.9 times. This represents a stunning two billion advertising impressions.
- Edison Research’s “Share of Ear” reports reveal podcast audience shares have tripled in the past four years, Spotify and Pandora are stagnant, and AM/FM radio continues to dominate
- American broadcasters are leveraging their massive reach to create interest and awareness in podcasts
- In the first half of 2020, 1.8 million podcast promos were run on U.S. AM/FM radio stations, a 3.5X increase over the same period in the prior year
- Podcast promotion on U.S. AM/FM radio for the first half of the year equates to $61 million
- From January to June 2020, Media Monitors captured 601 different podcasts being promoted on U.S. AM/FM radio
- In June 2020, 71% of Americans were exposed to podcast promos an average of 16.9 times, generating two billion advertising impressions
Doug Hyde is Senior Director, National & Local Insights at CUMULUS MEDIA | Westwood One.
Contact the Insights team at CorpMarketing@westwoodone.com.