As 2017 comes to an end, we look back at which blog posts resonated most with our readers with our list of the top 5 most popular Insights posts of the year.
5. Your Share of Ear Update: Q2 2017: Edison Research’s “Share of Ear” is the gold standard for understanding how Americans consume audio. In our post highlighting the Q2 2017 study, we showed how AM/FM radio continues to be the most powerful audio platform for advertisers.
4. Infographic: Kickoff Starts with the NFL On Westwood One: Our readers were ready to get in a tailgate state of mind! Our NFL Infographic dropped us right in the NFL fanzone. We looked at how many NFL fans are listening on the go, what they’re grilling, what they wear to support their team and more.
3. Surprise: A Slam Piece on AM/FM Radio Gets it Wrong: When a streaming music royalty organization issued a report that incorrectly asserted the demise of AM/FM radio among younger Americans, we checked the facts. Turning to Nielsen’s Portable People Meter listening data, we showed that AM/FM radio’ reach is rock steady among kids, teens, and Millennials and remains the number one source of music discovery.
2. Pandora Has a Fake Listening Problem – So Do Their Advertisers: In May we looked at how Pandora reduces listener hours from demographics they cannot sell and exaggerates tuning for demographics they want to sell. Pandora also suffers from “empty room syndrome” and has no idea if anyone is actually listening. AM/FM radio is more accountable thanks to Nielsen Diaries and Portable People Meters that report actual radio listening.
And our most popular post…
1. A Profile of the On-Demand Audience: Very little was known about the demographics of the on-demand audience of AM/FM radio shows before we commissioned a Nielsen Total Audience custom study to measure the audiences of local on-demand content. On-demand programs are shows that air on AM/FM radio and are then made available for online listening. For the first time ever, Nielsen provided demographic estimates covering three genres – news/talk, sports, and entertainment – to show what audiences on-demand platforms bring to the audio landscape.
Lauren Vetrano is Director of Content Marketing at Cumulus | Westwood One.
Contact the Insights team at CorpMarketing@westwoodone.com.