Edison Research, the leaders in studying American audio use, just published their Q3 2018 Share of Ear report. The quarterly tracking study provides an in-depth view into U.S. audio usage.
Some key takeaways from the study include:
- Advertisers and agencies incorrectly perceive the audience size of Pandora and Spotify: Advertisers Perceptions finds that advertisers and agencies believe Spotify has a 23% share of audio time spent while Pandora is slightly less at 21%. AM/FM radio is perceived at 36%. The truth: AM/FM radio has a 47% share while ad-supported Pandora is 4% and ad-supported Spotify is only 2% of audio time spent.
- Americans spend substantially more time daily with AM/FM radio than Spotify and Pandora: AM/FM radio dominates daily time spent with nearly two hours daily among persons 18+ compared to Pandora’s 12 minutes and Spotify’s 10 minutes daily.
- AM/FM radio outreaches all other ad-supported platforms: The Q3 2018 Share of Ear study has AM/FM radio’s daily reach at 72%, 7 times larger than Pandora and 18 times larger than Spotify and SiriusXM.
- Spotify’s ad-supported audience has not grown in over two years: all of Spotify’s growth comes from their commercial-free subscription service: Spotify’s audience growth over the last three years has been completely driven by its ad-free subscription service, up +150% since Q2 2016.
- Smart speaker ownership soars to 24% of all Americans in October 2018: Smart speaker ownership is still on the rise, tripling in just 2 years.