Westwood One Commissions First Nielsen Catalina Solutions Personal Care Sales Measurement and Return on Advertising Spend Study of AM/FM Radio Campaign
New York, NY, March 6, 2018 — Westwood One, the largest radio network in the U.S., today announced results of the first Nielsen Catalina Solutions (NCS) sales effect study conducted for an AM/FM radio campaign in the personal care brand category.
“Westwood One has been very vocal that AM/FM radio delivers an impressive return on investment for brand marketers,” said Suzanne Grimes, EVP Marketing, Cumulus Media and President, Westwood One. “Today, we back that statement up with a NCS study for a major personal care brand, which shows a $12 return on advertising spend for every dollar of AM/FM radio advertising. NCS is the gold standard for CPG sales measurement, and these findings show that a personal care brand can use radio to realize impressive sales lift and a powerful return on ad spend.”
“As evidenced by its industry-wide ROI Guarantee, Westwood One has put sales at the center of its relationships with marketers,” said Matt O’Grady, CEO, Nielsen Catalina Solutions. “The most effective way to measure the sales driven by advertising is by connecting purchase data with media exposures to understand how advertising impacts sales at the register.”
NCS calibrates the largest shopper dataset of over 90 million unique households, from Catalina, with Nielsen’s retail sales and consumer panel data, to represent nearly 100% of total US all-outlet CPG spend. Using an advanced methodology, NCS can connect Nielsen’s gold-standard Radio Ratings data with shopper data to understand what advertising households were exposed to and how it impacted their purchasing.
Other key findings from the study:
- Market share growth: Increased purchasing came at the expense key competitors in the category.
- Sales growth: The campaign drove a positive sales lift of 8% for the men’s personal care brand.
- Sales drivers: Sales growth was impacted by more spending per trip.
- Heavy category buyers were activated: Those who buy often in the category were the most responsive to the radio campaign and generated most of the incremental sales.
You can read more here in today’s Adweek.
Westwood One: the radio industry leader in attribution measurement
This personal care study is the latest in a series of industry firsts from Westwood One in data driven targeting, measurement and accountability: http://bit.ly/2Hb0IVa
- January 2017: Westwood One released a Nielsen ROI study that found radio delivered a stunning $21 to $1 return on advertising spend for a major auto aftermarket retailer
- June 2017: Nielsen launched their first-ever audio data management platform with Westwood One as its charter client
- June 2017: Westwood One become the first radio network to launch the NextRadio smartphone-based attribution platform for over-the-air FM radio advertising campaigns
- October 2017: Westwood One introduces the first ROI Guarantee for the audio industry
About Westwood One
Westwood One, the national-facing arm of Cumulus Media, offers iconic, nationally syndicated sports, news and entertainment content to 245 million listeners each week across an audio network of 8,000 affiliated broadcast radio stations and media partners. Westwood One is the largest audio broadcast network in America, home to premium content that defines the culture, including the NFL, the NCAA, the Masters, the Olympics, Westwood One Backstage, the GRAMMYs, the Academy of Country Music Awards, the Billboard Music Awards and the American Music Awards. The rapidly growing Westwood One Podcast Network delivers popular network and industry personalities and programs. Westwood One connects listeners with their passions through programs and platforms that have everyone listening. For more information please visit www.westwoodone.com.
Jana Polsky | Westwood One | email@example.com | (212) 641-2101